Home Décor Goes Back to the Future!
It was only a matter of time until home designers looked to the 1980s for inspiration. Showrooms are looking more like a TV set of the Golden Girls rather than the bland, gray-toned backdrops of the past few years. Color, shapes, and playfulness are making a comeback. Bringing rooms back to life is the theme for this design trend. So, what’s New?
• Round Shapes – Gone are the sharp edges and squared-off furniture. Round tables, sofas, and chairs are making an entrance this year.
• Lower Furniture – Just like its mid-Century modern cousins, 80’s furniture was lower to the ground than contemporary styles.
• Color – 1980s seafoam green and peach have morphed into teal and mauve this season and taking center stage in home décor.
• Rattan – Rattan furniture is no longer for retirees in Florida or vacation condos in Hawaii. This versatile material is now a mainstay in homes. Consider a piece or entire room of rattan furniture to brighten your space.
• Lucite – Clear furniture offers an illusion of floating in the room. Small spaces become larger by adding clear chairs or accent tables.
• Ceramics – Shell-shaped lamps and art deco styles vases are an essential decorating element for the 1980’s style.
• Kitsch – Pop Art pieces are back. Think Andy Warhol prints and oversized novelty decorations like oversized pencils or giant teacups.
As designers put a modern twist on an old décor, more homeowners are dusting off their 80’s décor and adding a bit of whimsy to their home.